Monday, October 27, 2008

Bat Cave Hike

This weekend, Cory and I finally went on the Bat Cave hike, along with Jeff, Bill and Jen (and 3 of their dogs). We've heard about the hike before, and everyone always says how easy it is, so we thought we would check it out.

At the start of the trail is an old railroad bridge that goes over the river way down below. I wanted to get a picture on it with me and Cory, but as soon as I stepped onto the rails, I got dizzy! I've never been really afraid of heights, but being able to see the ground way below me through the rails made my legs shake uncontrollably, and Cory had to help me get back to solid ground...I was a little embarassed!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


The Bat Cave hike goes along the river at Bloody Point, so you are hiking in and around water the entire time, with big walls of dirt and rock surrounding you
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


There is one spot that is a little more difficult, especially when you have dogs along. There are a few large boulders that sit right in the middle of the water, and you have to use a rope to climb up. We used harnesses to lasso the dogs and pass them up over the boulders.
Photobucket

Photobucket


And after a little more hiking, we finally got to the bat cave! Let me just say, there were a lot of bats in there...we could hear them well and every now and then, a few would fly out of the cave and over us.
Here is Cory at the entrance to the cave, ducking down as one flies right over his head
Photobucket

Cory got a picture of a bat flying towards him, but it might be hard to see
Photobucket

Can you see it now?
Photobucket

And here is a video that Cory took in the cave...if you listen closely, you can hear the bats screeching.

No comments: